Thursday, March 21, 2013

1
Review: Splintered

Splintered
Author: A.G. Howard
Page Count: 371
Release Date: January 01, 2013
Publisher: Amulet Books
Series: Splintered #1
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Romance, Retellings, Adventure
Source: Purchased (Hardcover).
 
Splintered (Splintered, #1)
Read summary on Goodreads, here.
 
 
I had heard a lot of good things about this book, so when I saw it at a local bookstore I had to buy it. As soon as I read the first page I was hooked. I mean it's not everyday you read about a girl making mosaic art out of dead bugs to shut them up.

Alyssa was a good female lead. She wasn't weak and whiney like some characters, although she could be wishy-washy when it came to the guys. Jeb was my least favorite male character. He came across as controlling and I can't stand that. He didn't want Alyssa to go to London so he convinces her dad to tell her no all so he can go there to live with his girlfriend. And speaking of his girlfriend he basically two times her in Wonderland. So yeah, a cheating, control-freak would not be boyfriend material in my opinion. Morpheus, I'll admit, I absolutely loved him. He's cunning, manipulative, and leading Alyssa on a wild goose chase and he knows it. However, he's strong, seductive, and cam actually be very nice when he wants to be. A lot of the things he did or said made me smile. There were also some great additional characters that were hard to forget because they were just so unique and creative. I have to say that the Twid Sisters freaked me out a bit because of the whole spider thing.

I loved the storyline. I also loved all the twists the story had. It isn't your typical Alice in Wonderland story. Instead it's like a cross between Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland" and Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas." Don't expect to find a cute white rabbit with a pocket watch instead you get a skeletal creature named Rabid White and other extremely twisted characters. I only had a few minor complaints. First, Cheshire Cat has always been my favorite Wonderland character and he makes a very quick, brief appearance. Second, I felt like some of the comebacks were a little lame. Other than that I loved this book.

I loved the ending too. There was no big cliffhanger but it ended on a good note. There is no doubt that I'll read the next book.

The cover is definitely the prettiest cover I've seen. There may be others but I haven't seen them yet. The colors really pop on the hardcover.

Rating: 5/5

Review also posted to Goodreads.


1 comments:

Alise said...

I LOVED this book! :) One of my favorites. " Instead it's like a cross between Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland" and Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas.' Nailed it. This was exactly what I was thinking. Didn't the Cheshire cat turn out to be Morpheus though? Great review!
I am a new GFC follower and would love it if you checked out my blog too!
http://www.readerswonderland.com/

Post a Comment